Wednesday 2 April 2014

Halcyon Days

In 2010, DH and I bought our house in the countryside.
I wouldn't go quite as far as to call it our dream home but it had the potential to be wonderful.
We had no children back then but we hoped beyond hope that some would come.
You see, this house wasn't just for us, in fact, for me at least, it was not bought with me in mind at all.
It was a house, a space, for our children.
A house where we could give them an idyllic childhood.
At the heart of that for me was the outside space.


Our house has a beautiful, large garden.
We get wild rabbits, foxes, pheasants and all manner of small birds visit (even a parrot once).
There are cows in the field at the bottom and sheep in the field opposite.
Since we moved in we have acquired cats, chickens, guinea pigs and a rabbit.
Ducks will follow in the next couple of months.



Now C is of an age where we can start making memories.....

Feeding the chickens, the rabbit, the ducks
Checking for and collecting the eggs every morning
Picnic teas in the garden
Even breakfast in the garden maybe
Homegrown fruit and veg
Blackberry picking in the lane
Wildlife spotting
Tree houses
Bare feet on warm grass.


These are things I want them to be able to look back longingly on when they are older
Carefree Summer days.
Halcyon days

I'm linking this post up with Coombe Mill #CountryKids.

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

3 comments:

  1. Those are the sort of memories I have from growing up in the countryside. It was really special xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you this is my dream! Space to run and animals to interact with =) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful post and you sure are making memories for your children. Trust me these are all the small things I remember from my own childhood and hope that my own will also remember from here on the farm. Thank you for joining me for Country Kids and sharing your wonderful garden and all it has to offer for your children.

    ReplyDelete