Wednesday 16 April 2014

Book of the Week - Week 1

This is a new feature I am going to run every Wednesday if I can.

Every week C goes to the local library with my parents and chooses a handful of books to bring home for that week.  Some are good, some are pretty awful and some are little gems that I would never have come across otherwise.  I wanted to take this opportunity to briefly share some of them with you.  Some of them you may already know but I hope to also bring some new ones to your attention.

This weeks book is The Gobble Gooble Moooooo Tractor Book by Jez Alborough.



I have to say I was slightly put off by the title and cover as it looked a little silly but it is actually great!  It tells the story of a group of farmyard animals who can mimic the various sounds of a tractor and by joining the sounds together they can imitate the tractor moving along.

First of all the whole idea is quite a clever concept.  I would never have have associated a sheep bleating with the revving of a tractor engine, but is actually sounds quite close. 
To get the full effect this book needs to be read out loud!

I found by the second time of reading it, C was keen to imitate the different animal sounds which is great for her speech problems as it is getting her to use her mouth in different ways.  A "Baaa" and "Purrrrr" involve totally different muscle control.  Some she can do better than others so this is definitely something we will practise.
C thinks the whole book is hilarious.... or maybe it is just my animal impressions.
Either way this one will definitely be renewed!

Here is the author Jez Alborough reading the book in full...


No comments:

Post a Comment