Monday 4 November 2013

37 Weeks Pregnant - Writing A Birth Plan

This week I am 37 weeks pregnant and now I know I should hopefully be able to give birth in the Midwife Led Unit at our local hospital, I have started putting together a birth plan.  Although when pregnant with C I had ideas about what I wanted during labour and delivery, I had not got around to producing a birth plan before her early arrival at 35 weeks.  In some ways this was probably a good thing as preterm labour would have meant the plan went out the window!

Those of you who read my previous blog post on Labour Problems will remember there were many elements with my labour with C that did not go exactly how I would have wanted due to her prematurity.  A lot of the options available during a full term labour and delivery were not available to me.

The key ponts that need addressing in my plan are regarding pain relief.  Gas and Air did not agree with me during my previous labour.  It made by light headed and I found it hard to concentrate on what was going on around me.  This time around, I would like to avoid using it for as long as possible.  This would apply to both premature and full term labour.  I therefore need to find a way of managing the pain myself...

I have been doing some research into hypnobirthing and although I feel not all of it is for me, I do think there are certain elements that I can sucessfully take with me into the delivery suite.  Most of these revolve around relaxation and creating a calm environment.  I already do prenatal yoga which incorporates a similar period of relaxation at the end of each class.  I am therefore familiar with many of the processes and getting myself into that frame of mind.

I would really like to have a water birth.  Having suffered with severe period pain for most of my adult life, I am acutely aware of how benificial a soak in warm water can in reducing pain in that area.

Another key thing for me is being able to move around during labour.  I do feel that a lot of the problems I experienced while in labour with C were due to the fact I was not able to walk around and let gravity aid the process.


The NHS choices website do an online Birth Plan which you can fill in and print out which I think makes an excellent starting point.





No comments:

Post a Comment