Monday 29 September 2014

Everything is Awesome: A Review of The Lego Movie

There were 2 films released in the cinemas around the time B was born which I missed out on seeing.
One was the second Hobbit instalment, the other was The Lego Movie.

When price tracking website Suppose.com contacted me to ask if I would be interested in reviewing the latter, I jumped at the chance!
The feedback from friends at the time was really good, therefore I went into this with high expectations of the movie.





The animated film follows a Lego mini-figure called Emmet, an unlikely hero who gets mistaken as the "Special" destined to fulfil a foretold prophecy by defeating resident "bad guy" Lord Business.
Emmet is a generic construction worker: Easily forgettable and only capable of following instructions.  His adventures take him on a journey of discovery, both of himself and the world around him.

As is often the case with family films, it can be watched at many levels, making the story attractive to adults and children alike.  On one hand it is light hearted and fun, on the other it discusses the deeper issues of fate and free will.
The storyline itself is quite predictable however the script is full of action movie cliches, clever one liners, an annoyingly catchy song, and a friendly mocking of Lego fans old and young.
I personally loved the elements of nostalgia that crept up every now and again.

Hubby is a huge Lego fan - Don't get me started on the micro-organised boxes of Lego in the cupboard!
He definitely falls into the "only capable of following instructions" category when constructing Lego, which did make me chuckle!
The ending (which I won't spoil for you here) also struck a familiar chord..
Unfortunately hubby is working away this week however I am really looking forward to watching it again with him when he gets back to see his reaction!

Disclaimer: We were sent one copy of the The Lego Movie DVD for the purposes of this review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment