Wednesday 30 October 2013

36 Weeks Pregnant - Uncharted Territory

This week I am 36 weeks pregnant.  This is an especially important milestone for me as C arrived at 35 weeks and 5 days gestation.  I have never made it to 36 weeks before.  Although extemely relieved to be here (preterm labour is no fun), it did make last week a bit of an anticlimax as I couldn't help but wonder if this baby was going to make a similarly early appearance!

I am definately bigger this time around but do not have the same hip problems I had when pregnant with C. Aside from the increasing tiredness and generally imobility, I am feeling pretty good.  Labour does not feel imminent... but then it didn't with C.  I was enjoying a perfectly normal afternoon until my waters broke.


Yesterday I had my 36 week midwife appointment.  We went through the usual urine and blood pressure checks which were all fine.  She then checked on blue bump who is still head down but not yet engaged.  His heartrate was the regular 140bpm that it has been for the last few checkups. The midwife measured my bump which came to 37cm... so still within normal range which is great considering the previos worries.  I am a huge believer that diet has a important role in this for women with PCOS.

We then moved on to discuss labour and delivery. I was informed that assuming I made it to Sunday (when I turn 37 weeks - and therefore considered full term) I had the all clear to give birth at the Midwife Led Unit at our local hospital rather than the main Labour Ward.  This is what I had been hoping to hear.  The MLU has huge advantages including the possibility of the water birth I long for and hopefully would allow me more control over the whole experience... something I felt I did not have last time.

The appointment had an air of finality about it, although in reality I could have another two more to go.  Assuming I make it that far, my next appointment is at 38 weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment