Thursday 20 February 2014

Utilising a 3 Hour Nap

This afternoon baby B had a rare 3 hour nap.
This allowed me to have a good stretch of quality time with C and I was determined to make the most of it.
First we got out the playdough.  I had been intending just playing with the shape cutters however C immediately ran to get her plastic animals... the result of a previous activity making footprints in the dough.
The animals walked along train tracks, up hills and over bridges.
C is really in to imaginative play at the moment and was in her element.




One hour later, baby B was still napping.  I therefore browsed the internet for train themed small world play activities.
C is Thomas the Tank Engine mad at the moment and I was hoping to find something to tap in on that enthusiasm (and discourage the window sill being used as a train track).
I came across the idea of a DIY playmat.
We are not short of cardboard boxes therefore I started drawing a railway scene with variety of sites I hoped C would be familiar with from watching a huge amount of Thomas the Tank Engine.
C cottoned on immediately and added cars to the road and a train to the railway track.
She kept coming back to this all afternoon, even after baby B had woken up, therefore I hope we will get enjoyment out of this for a number of days to come.



1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of using play dough train tracks! I must try that with Potato. I've used large sheets of paper to draw tracks on, but have never thought of doing them on cardboard boxes. Another one to try with Potato next time we have a big box :)

    ReplyDelete