Wednesday 24 April 2013

Cheeky Wipes



Last weekend we attended the Baby and Toddler Show at Bluewater and after watching Cheeky Wipes demo their reusable baby wipes we decided to purchase a Cheeky Baby Wipes All-In-One Kit.  




The cost of the kit on the day was £30. Although a substantial upfront cost, we were going through £3 packs of disposable baby wipes at lightning speed therefore I knew it would not be long until we got our money’s worth.

The All-In-One kit contains:

25 - Cloth baby wipes, 15 cm x 15 cm
1 - Fresh Baby Wipes container
1 - Mucky Baby Wipes container - with mesh bag insert
1 - Fresh Baby Wipes waterproof out and about travel bag
1 - Mucky Baby Wipes waterproof out and about travel bag - with mesh bag insert
1 - 10 ml bottle of Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil
1 - 10 ml bottle of Tea Tree & Tea Tree Lemon Essential Oil

On opening the packaging when we arrived home I was initially slightly disappointed that all the cloth wipes were white as the demonstration we viewed at the Baby and Toddler Show had included a variety of fun coloured cloth wipes.  

Undeterred, I set about preparing the wipes for use.

First I needed to fill the Fresh Baby Wipes container with water to the fill line (approx. 3cm). Unfortunately there appeared to be 2 fill lines and I wasn’t sure which to use.  I therefore just estimated the 3cm (which seemed to be somewhere between the 2 lines) and hoped for the best.

I then added a few drops of Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil.  This smelled lovely!

Next I filled the Mucky Baby Wipes container with water to the fill line. This was easier as there was only one line and added a few drops of Tea Tree & Tea Tree Lemon Essential Oil which contains antibacterial properties.  I then added the mesh bag insert.

I placed the pile of cloth wipes in the Fresh container and closed the lid. I then rotated the container so that all the cloth wipes were well covered.

We were then ready to go.  I have always been a bit sceptical about reusable items as to me they seem to often take a lot of time and effort to maintain.  Luckily however, setting up the Cheeky Wipes had been easy.

The benefits of the cloth wipes over disposable wipes were evident from their first use that lunchtime. They were so much more absorbent and the textured surface meant they picked up more food remains.  Instead of 5 disposable wipes to clean one small child, I used 1 cloth wipe.  After use I then just placed it in the Mucky Baby Wipes container.


Initially I had been planning on using the wipes just for food. I don’t have a poo phobia but I do prefer to be able to dispose of all elements of a dirty nappy in the bin and forget about it.  Reusable nappies and me would never have got along. Having said that the next dirty nappy we had, I realised that we were out of disposable baby wipes. I then had a dilemma whether to walk upstairs to get a new packet or use the Cheeky Wipes that were in the next room….

Laziness prevailed and I went for the Cheeky Wipes.  I wiped the worst off using the nappy then used the cloth wipe to finish up and cleanse. Afterwards the wipe went straight in the Mucky Wipes container with minimal fuss. I was impressed! Both with myself for being brave, and with the effectiveness of the wipes.

Cheeky Wipes recommend that the wipes are washed every other day.  This isn’t a problem as I SHOULD be doing a clothes wash every other day anyway. In fact this would be a good incentive to ensure the clothes washing did get done.  To wash the wipes you just remove the mesh bag insert from inside the Mucky Wipes Container, pull the drawstring tight and pop the bag in the washing machine. They then can be washed on a normal wash with other clothing.  I definitely need to practice getting the bag into washing machine without dripping water all over the kitchen floor!

Once finished there is no need to dry the wipes, they then just go straight into the Fresh Wipes Container and you begin again.

As yet I have not used either of the travel pouches. Dealing with reusable items while out and about is a level of “faff” I am not quite ready to deal with just yet however once I get into the swing of using them regularly at home this will be the logical next step.

All in all I am pretty impressed with the ease of using Cheeky Wipes at home and I am sure they are going to save me a fortune!!!

I have not been paid to write this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment